On November 27th, the ICSD (International Committee of Sports for the Deaf ) extraordinary congress was held in Lausanne Switzerland. The Congress was moderated by World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) by Vice President Kasper Bergmann and attended by 55 Members – three of whom attended remotely.
ICSD is the main governing body responsible for the organisation of Deaflympics and other World Deaf Championships.
Representing UKDS (UK Deaf Sport) at the extraordinary ICSD Congress in Lausanne, was Honorary President Craig Crowley and Honorary Vice President Philip Gerrard.
Over the course of two days was an intense and productive congress with several decisions made on how to advance international deaf sport. From those two days the extraordinary congress resulted with the following outcomes:
- The 2013-2019 Accounts were approved
- The Deaf Sport Reform process was approved which will transform ICSD governance bringing in compliance with the Olympic Charter. And a new ICSD Constitution now in force.
- Associate Member Federations (CC such as International Sport Federations ie Football, Basketball, Golf and Chess) were given key Congress voting rights.
- A new Board, including a new President Gustavo Perazzolo and two Vice Presidents, was elected to serve with ‘limited powers’ for 12 months.
- Caxias do Sul has been confirmed as the host city for the Deaflympics on 1-15 May 2022
Those that were elected as part of the new ICSD board during the congress are: Gustavo Perrazzolo, Brazil, Chairman, Yutaka Osugi as Vice President and our Alexandra Polivanchuk, and David Lanesman as Chairman of Youth Sports. Yakup Kithir, Turkey, Kristian Lantto, Finland and Adam Kosa, Hungary. The board is elected for one year, until the next regular congress.
UKDS want to congratulate Gustavo Perazzolo on his appointment as the new ICSD President and to thank Craig and Philip for their participation in the lengthy and tiring congress!
UKDS will be in touch with Deaf Sport Groups shortly as regards plans and preparations for Caxias do Sul Deaflympics
For more information please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org.