In 2011, alongside the English Federation of Disability Sport and the main National Disability Sports Organisations, UK Deaf Sport were pleased to receive National Lottery funding to enable us to support National Governing Bodies of sport (NGBs) to deliver more opportunities for Deaf people, through employment of an Inclusive Sports Advisor.
The overall aim of the post is to work with the National Deaf Sports Associations and a selection of National Governing Bodies of sport to get 900 Deaf people, participating, staying & excelling in sport. We will achieve this through supporting an agreed number of priority National Governing Bodies to develop specific plans to increase deaf participation.
These plans will be integrated into the English Federation of Disability Sports plans where sports align. Key areas of work
- To work with partner organisations to provide bespoke, expert advice on how to identify, develop and deliver more inclusive or dedicated opportunities to the Deaf community, encouraging them to get involved in sport.
- Developing a series of pilot programmes. These may focus on participation, coaching and officiating or in the governance and development of the sport at a local, regional or national level.
- We will ensure that Deaf issues are raised with key partners and decision/policy makers at all levels to ensure that programmes become increasingly accessible to Deaf people and act as a critical friend to influence change.
- We will undertake some specific research on barriers and drivers for participation for the Deaf community and use the information we gather to lobby for change where it is needed and to support the justification of need for additional resources.
- We will work to raise the profile of Deaf sport and share example of success and good practice where it exists.
- We will promote and develop resources that will educate and enable partners to understand the issues that Deaf people face in accessing sport and physical activity.