All Deaf and Hard of Hearing athletes must have an ICSD (International Committee of Sports for the Deaf) number to compete in international competitions, proving that they meet the ICSD Audiogram Regulations.
The full Audiogram Regulations can be found here – http://www.deaflympics.com/pdf/AudiogramRegulations.pdf
The regulations state all athletes must be:
- Deaf, defined as a hearing loss of at least 55dB pure tone average (PTA) in the better ear (three-tone pure tone average at 500, 1000 and 2000 Hertz, air conduction, ISO 1969 Standard)
- A member of an affiliated National Deaf Sports Federation
- A citizen of that country.
Audiograms must be less than 1 year old when submitted.
UK Deaf Sport is the Deaf Federation for the United Kingdom and hold the UK Deaf Athlete Database.
How to gain a new ICSD number for an athlete:
Most athletes apply with the support of their Deaf sport or club.
- Download and complete the ICSD Audiogram Form from the Deaflympics website. (http://www.deaflympics.com/audiogramform.php)
- Book an Audiologist to complete all four tests and sections on the form. Share the letter of support below with the Audiologist if needed.
UKDS Audiologist Letter
- Send the completed form to UKDS at firstname.lastname@example.org
- UKDS will check that the audiograms meet the regulations before sending them to ICSD.
- ICSD will also check and confirm if the athlete meets the regulations and issue an ICSD Athlete Number.
- UKDS will share new ICSD number directly with the athlete or sport club.
- The UKDS Deaf Athlete database is updated.
Athletes only need apply for a ICSD Athlete number once.
This process can take up to 3 weeks, not including athlete completing the form.
UK Deaf Sport recommend new ICSD numbers are requested no later than three months before the competition or tournament.
DEADLINE for completed audiograms – 1st of every month.
Requests to check the UKDS Deaf Athlete Database
If you have an athlete, but not sure if they have an ICSD number, please contact us and we can check the database.
If an athlete has a ICSD number issued from outside the UK, UKDS will have to check with ICSD directly which may take longer.
Send all queries to email@example.com. We aim to reply to you within 7 days.