What is the Inclusive Sport project?
In 2011, alongside the English Federation of Disability Sport and the main National Disability Sports Organisations, UK Deaf Sport were pleased to receive National Lottery funding to enable us to support National Governing Bodies of sport (NGBs) to deliver more opportunities for Deaf people. This fund commitment has now been continues with a further £365,000 being awards by Sport England to UK Deaf Sport for work between 2014 and 2017.
Who runs the project?
The project is managed by our National Participation Officer.
The participation officer works with the National Deaf Sports Associations and a selection of National Governing Bodies of sport to develop greater partnership working and increase the opportunities at a local level through out DEAFinitely Inclusive Programme and other initiative.
Is there a target?
The aim is to get more Deaf people, participating, coaching and volunteering in sport.
We will achieve this through supporting an agreed number of priority National Governing Bodies to develop specific plans to increase deaf participation.
What steps will be taken to achieve this target – key areas of work
- To work with partner organisations to provide bespoke, expert advice on how to identify, develop and deliver more inclusive or dedicated opportunities to the Deaf community, encouraging them to get involved in sport.
- Developing a series of pilot programmes. These may focus on participation, coaching and officiating or in the governance and development of the sport at a local, regional or national level.
- We will ensure that Deaf issues are raised with key partners and decision/policy makers at all levels to ensure that national programmes become increasingly accessible to Deaf people and act as a critical friend to influence change.
- We will undertake some specific insight work and use the information we gather to lobby for change where it is needed and to support the justification of need for additional resources.
- We will work to raise the profile of Deaf sport and share example of success and good practice where it exists.
- We will promote and develop resources that will educate and enable partners to understand the issues that Deaf people face in accessing sport and physical activity.
For full information on the project and how you can get involved, contact our National Participation Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org.